Location: Aiea, Hawaii
Internal Number: REQ-021885
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
The Medical Transcriptionist transcribes dictation for all affiliated hospitals/laboratory sites into the company's pathology laboratory information system in an accurate and timely manner. The position also handles other designated administrative work, including, but not limited to, accessioning, specimen send-outs, medical billing, and providing results.
- High school degree or GED required
- Medical terminology and computer data entry experience required
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding required
- Medical transcription courses/previous experience highly desirable
- Minimum one (1) year previous experience in pathology laboratory preferred
- Computer literate with an ability to type at least 75 wpm
- For hospital settings, additional requirements may apply and change without notice, including, but not limited to, criminal background check, health clearance and hospital compliance training
- Successfully pass Company pre-employment drug test and periodic and random thereafter
- Demonstrated and proven ability/experience in accomplishments in all of our five core values:
Under general supervision of a Pathologist and other supervision, and in accordance with Company policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Transcribes reports for all Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii and Pan Pacific Pathologists-affiliated facilities, including outpatient reports
- Provide support to Pathologists, Histology/Cytology departments, and Pathologists Assistants
- Accessions pathology cases as necessary into the pathology lab information system
- Performs requisition checks to ensure accuracy of specimen accessioning entries
- Assists in coding PPPL pathology specimens (ICD-10 and CPT codes)
- Answers calls from hospital staff and clients (internal and external)
- Conducts phone and email communication with clients, hospital pathology groups, referral labs and other customers (internal and external)
- Prepares and sends out slides/blocks for consultation
- Ensures that all reports are completed, printed and distributed in a timely fashion
- Prioritizes and organizes dictation from various hospitals
- Maintains and operates department slide scanning system (at applicable pathology sites)
- Builds and receives specimens using the lab's internal specimen tracking system
- Scans and attaches reports received from outside institutions to patient's file
- Maintains open communication with supervisor, pathologists, and co-workers to ensure optimal operation of the department
- Practices strict adherence to standard operating procedures
- Develops high level of proficiency and continues to update knowledge through on-the-job training
- Adheres to confidentiality, safety, compliance, and legal requirements
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance and complies with company guidelines on attendance
- Maintains company requirements for regular (monthly, quarterly or annual) safety, compliance and work-related training
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Light to moderate physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 pounds)
- Occasional pushing and pulling of objects
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Frequent prolonged sitting
- Must be able to hear, see and respond adequately
- Use of hands and fingers
- Extensive computer work
- Air conditioned office with minimal exposure to biohazard areas
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction
- May be asked to work extended hours
- Some exposure to patient specimens
- Ability to type 75 wpm preferred
- Perceive pertinent details and verbal or tabular material; ability to see things from the customer's/patient's point of view and respond in a timely, appropriate and courteous manner
- Handle emergency situations with calmness and professionalism
- Ability to work effectively with others and promotes positive working relationships
- Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them and their effective use
- Understand instructions, reason, and make judgments
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy required
- Ability to multi-task effectively and accurately
- Ability to be a self-starter
- Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions to difficult challenges.
- Works effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- TECHNICALLY COMPETENT: Possesses and maintains the functional and technical knowledge and skills to successfully perform job.
- QUALITY CONSCIOUS: Delivers accuracy and precision in work products; mindful of technical requirements, rules, and standards.
- Prioritizes; respects others' time; adheres to schedules and agendas.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature, type and level of work being performed by the employee(s) functioning in this position. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The Company reserves the right to add, delete or modify assigned duties at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. I have read and received the job description listed above and am responsible for following the job description outlined during my employment with the Company.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Pan Pacific Pathologists, LLC
This position is call in, as needed during day shift
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.