Location: Austin, Texas
Internal Number: REQ-021330
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
The Director of Technical Operations is responsible for oversight of laboratory preanalytical and analytical operations to assure timely, complete, accurate and appropriate test results and laboratory information are produced as requested by healthcare providers engaged in the delivery of patient care. The Director of Technical Operations works directly with laboratory scientific and support staff and regularly engages with medical, business, scientific, quality, and compliance leadership to develop strategic goals.
Uniquely qualified candidates with the capability to provide depth in this role may qualify for an enhanced title.
- Direct and monitor the engagement, recruitment, training, performance and retention of laboratory staff.
- Direct managers, supervisors, other leadership, and other laboratory staff to achieve laboratory goals and objectives.
- Evaluate performance of reporting staff; train and develop leadership skills in manager and supervisory teams; establish succession plans and support for laboratory leadership.
- Engage with laboratory medical, business, scientific and finance leadership as well as corporate resources to sustain services, develop a strategic plan, support laboratory operations, and support corporate objectives.
- Develop, establish and maintain working relationships with scientific, hardware, information system, consumable, service and other resource vendors to align their product or service delivery with laboratory goals and objectives.
- Align human and material resources with the service requirements of the laboratory and with the strategic plan for laboratory growth and changes.
- Develop a budget for laboratory operations and growth to include operational and capital expenditure with focus on responsible stewardship of resources.
- Communicate with regional and other business leadership to coordinate specimen logistics and the flow of orders received from and results returned to provider clinical systems.
- Liaise with quality, compliance, legal and other laboratory leadership to ensure adherence to legal or regulatory requirements, contractual obligations or accrediting organization standards.
- Establish and monitor laboratory performance metrics to achieve and sustain outstanding quality and customer service
- Establish and monitor adherence to policies and procedures for laboratory technical operations.
- Ensure a safe and effective laboratory production environment.
- Ensure adherence to CLIA, CAP and other agency regulatory requirements and good laboratory practices
- Serve as a resource to ensure that the test methodologies selected have the capability of providing the quality of results required and verifies, as appropriate, that procedures are accurate and precise
- Serve as a resource to sales and marketing to ensure that products and services meet clinical requirements and abide by CLIA, CAP and other regulatory agency or entity requirements
- Coordinate with Scientific Director and Medical Leadership to develop and implement analytic methods that align with strategic objectives and clinical requirements.
- Uphold company vision and values.
Required: Bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science, or a related health science
Required: Must have 10-15 years of laboratory management experience.
Preferred: Reference Laboratory experience
Required: ASCP Certification
- Established leadership, team-building, and planning skills in a diagnostic environment, directing laboratory management, supervisors, staff and vendors to achieve laboratory goals and objectives.
- Strong analytical business skills focused on human resource management, laboratory operational budgets, and capital expenditure to adapt laboratory to continuously changing clinical, client and business requirements.
- Proven record of strategic planning based on collaborative interaction with medical leadership, business leadership, vendors, clients, staff and other partners to refine laboratory services.
- Strong intelligence gathering and communication skills to manage staff, coordinate with laboratory leadership, engage with vendors, and communicate with patient or client representatives.
- Ability to translate regulatory, business environment and technical understanding to action plans.
- Strong computer literacy with quantitative skills in data use preferred.
- Proficient computer skills including navigating Windows based environment and Microsoft applications.
- Knowledge of CAP, CLIA, COLA, CMS inspection process.
- Demonstrated knowledge of laboratory techniques, procedures and regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional facilitation, consulting, management, business, and customer service skills.
- Periodic travel, including airline travel and overnight stays, as required.
This role will have routine access to Protected Health Information (PHI). Employees will be trained on reasonable safeguards and are expected to maintain strict confidentiality, as well as abide by all applicable privacy and security standards. Employees are expected only to access PHI when it is required to fulfill job duties.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.