Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Internal Number: REQ-019642
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Diagnose presence and stage of diseases using laboratory techniques and patient specimens and studies nature, cause and development of diseases, and structural and functional changes caused by them.
Principle Accountabilities / Responsibilities
- Examines and interprets prepared tissue sections and body fluids and secretions by using a variety of microscope techniques, including light microscopy, electron microscopy and fluorescence microscopy.
- Diagnosis, from body tissue, fluids, secretions or other specimens the presence and stage of disease or other abnormalities, utilizing laboratory techniques and dictates findings.
- Identifies the etiology, pathogenesis, morphological change, and clinical significance of diseases.
- Consults with referring physicians about ordering and interpreting tests or providing treatments.
- Provides diagnostic information to the treating/referring physician in the form of a written pathology report.
- Participates in proficiency testing programs and intradepartmental meetings to establish measures to ensure and improve accuracy of diagnoses and quality of care.
- Participates in professional organizations, conferences and seminars to keep abreast of developments in pathology.
- May perform gross examination, dissection and description of specimens according to procedure.
- May train and educate laboratory personnel, students, and residents in the processing of specimens.
- May take photographs of specimens when indicated for patient reports or archival purposes.
- May consult with peers on difficult cases as requested or needed.
- May teach residents on a rotating basis.
- May plan and supervise the work of the pathology staff, residents or visiting pathologists.
- May testify in depositions or trials as an expert witness.
- May perform autopsies.
- May perform on-call responsibilities.
- Completes annual training programs within the required timeframe and regularly attends staff meetings.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as well as company and departmental rules, polices, and procedural manuals.
- Adherence to CAP, CLIA, State Regulations, HIPAA, Safety and OSHA Regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Completion of an approved four year residency in anatomic and/or clinical pathology; and
- Be certified in anatomic pathology by the American Board of Pathology or the American Osteopathic Board of Pathology or possess qualifications that are equivalent to those required for such certification; or
- Be certified by the American Society of Cytology to practice cytopathology or possess qualifications that are equivalent to those required for such certification.
- Minimum of one year pathology experience.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment visual color discrimination test.
- Complies with Board of Medicine on annual continuing medical education requirements.
- Gain/Maintains appropriate medical staff membership and privileges at applicable medical facilities.
Work requires some physical effort. Frequent walking, sitting, standing, typing, grasping, and twisting with both hands. Lifting or performing other work requiring light physical exertion (up to 30 pounds) is required.
Work involves frequent exposure to unpleasant working conditions or undesirable elements, may involve exposure to a variety or elements which are potentially hazardous or harmful which require exercise of well-defined precautions for protection from injury or illness.
American Esoteric Laboratories (AEL) is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
American Esoteric Labs
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.