Senior Laboratory Assistant Anatomic Pathology Days FT
DMC University Laboratories, Inc.
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Internal Number: 2105048654
DMC University Laboratories (DMCUL) is a regional, integrated laboratory system providing services to the eight hospitals of Detroit Medical Center. DMC University Laboratories evolved in 1993 and is comprised of Core Laboratories, Specialty Laboratories, two rapid response hospital laboratories, Centralized Stat Lab, Centralized Blood Bank Lab, and full service outreach infrastructure which includes patient service centers, remote ambulatory laboratories, marketing staff, courier system and billing department. The DMC University Laboratories service area covers the entire Southeast Michigan market, and is growing at a rapid pace with the following outstanding features: Test menu of over 1,000 tests, which includes high end specialty tests. Less than 1% of our tests are sent to outside reference laboratories. Provide reference laboratory services to many of the other healthcare systems in Southeastern Michigan and several out of state facilities.
Under general supervision and according to specific and detailed procedures, accurately performs specific tasks in assigned areas to include pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical testing activities. Assists in training staff, troubleshooting and resolving problems. Uses specialized, semi-technical techniques to handle specimens. Processes information by compiling, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data with attention to detail. May act as in-charge designee as requested. Interacts with health care professionals and responds to routine inquiries. Inspects and maintains work area, instruments, and supplies. Promotes DMC values by demonstrating behaviors supportive of building a High Reliability Culture committed to Safety for Life, Health for Life, Customer Service, Community Welfare, Excellence, Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork and Effective Resource Use.
1. Assists in training in the appropriate Anatomic Pathology and specimen processing policies and procedures to improve the knowledge, skills and abilities of staff to meet department competency standards.
2. Assists with problem solving and troubleshooting of routine or moderately complex processing and/or Anatomic Pathology issues utilizing appropriate skills and knowledge gained through work experience.
3. Enforces and complies with departmental safety polices and procedures and OSHA guidelines, including the use of applicable personal protective equipment.
4. Prioritizes incoming specimens; processes patient specimens using specialized techniques in accordance with departmental safety and OSHA guidelines. Ensures stats and other critical specimens are accurately and immediately processed in accordance with pre-established guidelines Documents specimen problems and communicates to supervisor or other lead designee.
5. Sets up and maintains designated work areas and equipment (i.e. Gross room, dissection area, cytology processing) as assigned Ensures that equipment is operational for appropriate use
6. Collaborate with staff and Pathologists for all Anatomic Pathology processes. Labels Specimens, vials and slides and places them on appropriate equipment.. Programs and loads Imagers, stainers and other appropriate equipment.
7. Generates labels and attaches to specimens according to pre-established test requirements.
8. Ensures specimen integrity by verifying patient identification.
9. Assigns accession numbers to all specimens and process the specimens according to protocol.
10. Prepares specimens to be sent to reference labs according to pre-established test requirements. Records incoming results onto appropriate logs.
11. Performs special processing of selective specimens (i.e. Acid wash, Cell block, Decalcification) according to established guidelines.
12. Maintains daily records, such as specimen logs/worksheets, send outs, and special procedure logs. Inputs data for workload. Accurately enters patient demographics data into the laboratory computer system; detects and corrects errors according to laboratory policies and quality standards.
13. Maintains a neat and clean work area; stocks storage area with supplies and inventories as necessary. Cleans equipment and small instruments; performs simple inspection and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
14. May conduct routine quality control checks on equipment (e.g. records temperatures). Reports unusual findings to Supervisor or Lead Designee.
15. Prepares solutions and reagents in accordance with pre-established guidelines.
16. Performs a variety of clerical duties such as answering the telephone, scheduling maintaining records, referencing inquiries from other departments, communicating with external staff or sources or relaying messages to the appropriate personnel.
17. Responsible to check organizational communication daily (i.e. Outlook, laboratory software, posted notices, etc.)
18. Work independently with minimal supervision.
19. Acts as in-charge designee in the absence of the group leader or supervisor.
20. Act as a resource to Lab assistants. Assist with specimen processing and answer questions regarding Laboratory policies and procedures.
21. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent education required. Associates Degree preferred.
2. Three (3) years experience in specimen processing and/or a pathology laboratory environment.
3. Six (6) months of experience in Anatomic Pathology preferred.
4. Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
5. Previous leadership experience preferred.
6. Customer service experience in a service environment preferred.
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC University Laboratories, Inc.
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Shift Begin: 11:00 AMShift End: 7:30 PM
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.